Road Tax Refund

Road tax refund is an amount you get back on car tax that has been already paid. Refunds are only paid for full months left before expiry. So if your tax disc expires in Juin, and you apply during April, you will receive two full months’ value in your refund. this why it is mandatory to apply as fast as possible, you will usually need to apply for your refund before the first day of the month that you want your refund to begin. Moreover, only the current owner or the owner previous to the current owner of a car can apply for vehicle tax so it is important to apply with relative speed after selling.

you can get a refund for a number of reasons such as:

  • Sell or transfer a car
  • Taken a SORN
  • You scrape your car
  • Exported the car
  • You made amendments to the car so that it falls in the different tax brand

The amount reimbursed will be based on the date that the DVLA receives the confirmation of cancellation. As that’s the case, it’s best to notify the DVLA as soon as possible so you don’t risk losing a months’ worth of money unnecessarily.

If you pay for your car tax by Direct Debit this will be cancelled automatically, if you didn’t then You’ll automatically get a refund cheque for any full months left on your vehicle tax. The refund is calculated from the date DVLA gets your information. The cheque is sent to the name and address on the vehicle log book. Applying for a refund depend on whether or not you have your tax disc:

If You Have a Tax Disc

Download and complete the form V14 Application for a refund of vehicle tax when you have the tax disc. Send the tax disc with the signed form to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AL.

Help is available on the DVLA’s website – look out for ‘Application for a refund of vehicle tax’.

Did you know that you can also make a SORN and other declarations via this form? See When to make a SORN.

If You Don’t Have a Tax Disc

Complete the form V33 ‘Application for a refund of vehicle tax when the tax disc is missing’ and send this form to Refund Section, DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AL.

The V33 form is only available by phoning DVLA Customer Enquiries on 0300 790 6802 or from a DVLA local office.

If you later find, or have returned to you, your original tax disc following the refund, you must return the disc to the DVLA with a covering letter.

In case of applying for a road tax refund because your car has been stolen you will need to provide the authorities with a crime reference number and details of the crime on your V33 form. Cause the police may recover your vehicle within a few days of their being stolen so, make sure wait at least a week before you apply for a road tax refund. Occasionally the DVLA will return your application to you if you have not waited a minimum of seven days.

If your refund doesn’t arrive Contact DVLA if you haven’t got your refund cheque after 6 weeks.

The DVLA says that you will not be refunded for the following:

  • any credit card fees
  • the 5% surcharge on some direct debit payments
  • the 10% surcharge on a single 6-month payment

If your refund doesn’t arrive Contact DVLA if you haven’t got your refund cheque after 6 weeks.

DVLA warns drivers about scam text offering tax refund Drivers have been warned to stay on the lookout for scam emails and text that claim to offer a road tax refund.

Theses scammers make it look like the message has come from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and then goes on to ask for bank details.

But following fresh reports of the con in recent weeks the DVLA has stepped in again, after first bringing it to light last year, to tell drivers it never sends texts asking for personal details